December 20 – Wetlands Board meeting. – Project to add commercial pier and to affect wetlands in CSBTS and Long Creek between CSBTS/CHS and Bay Island
Along Long Creek near Maple Street there is sign posted indicating a December 20, 2010 Wetlands Board meeting to:
- Construct 1026’ x 12’ Floating Pier with 45 Boat Slips to Marina Shores Marina
- Construct 80 feet of bulkhead, east of existing bulkhead;
- Establish a commercial pier along the river all the way down to Wake Forest Street, starting at the Marina Shores parking lot
- Relocate the existing boat channel 35’ to the south closer to Bay Island to so the new commercial pier will fit all of the new boats; (This portion is being coordinated with the Department of Public Works.)
- Dredge 3,797 cubic yards;
- Impact 1220 sf of wetlands to create a barge inlet to serve a dredge spoil site (long-term)
- Construct a Dredge Spoil Transfer Facility
- Rezone the property from residential(R7.5) to commercial.
Project area shown below or at the following link http://www.vbgov.com/file_source/dept/planning/I03.pdf
Project Plans can be viewed by clicking on this .pdf link. Marina Shore Boat Slip Expansion Plans
We are very concerned about this new information about commercial rezoning and barge spoil dredge site! Does anyone else feel that this additional project is being “pulled in” past our complete knowledge of it? How is this going to effect our community? I know Dec 20th is a bad time for a meeting with it being so close to the Holidays, but it is the future of our neighborhood. I hope others will come the meeting too.
Long Creek is so congested on weekends now and adding more piers and boat slips is just asking for trouble. and moving that channel 35 feet closer to Bay Island is a joke. What are the people at City Hall thinking. And the change to commercial from residential means the city cares more about the money than it does its residents .