CAPE STORY BY THE SEA
MONTHLY CIVIC ASSOCIATION MEETING
VIRGINIA BEACH RESORT HOTEL
Monday March 9, 2009 at 7:30pm
I. Call to Order
Guests and Special Presentations
II. Minutes – February 2009 Meeting
III. Treasurers Report- February 2009
IV. Officers Reports
V. Committee Reports
– Neighborhood Watch Update – Regina Wallace- Neighborhood Watch
– Beautification & Clean-up Committee – Shirley Drye and Dee Simpson Park Trail Clean Up Sunday April 26 , 2009 2PM
– Military Liaison Update- Ft. Story New Commander LTC Jansen and Little Creek Commander CAPT Crow
– Monica Miller, Information Officer : firstname.lastname@example.org Ft. Story phone: 757.422.7101 ext 225 and Tracie Culbreth: email@example.com phone: 757.422.7311
– SkipJack: Ginnie and Tracy Stover
VI. Old Business
– Follow up on Bike Path Safety Issues: Spring Fling- safety presentation, mock center islands, traffic calmers trial planned for Bayberry /Sandalwood intersections- CSBTS officers and residents neighboring Sandalwood and Bayberry Streets (invited ) met with Mike Shahaish, Senior Traffic Engineer, City of Virginia Beach on Wed. March 4, 2009 to review plans for traffic calmers for cross streets. Plans with pavers and median islands/”round abouts” with widening of street around median island were provided. Information and plans will be available at this monthly meeting. Funding for these projects will be required as well as notification by the City to homes neighboring the path at Sandalwood and Bayberry Streets for test streets.
– The following is a list of the possible safety solutions discussed at the January 12th Bike/multipurpose Trail Safety with City Staff and Residents:
– Adding Stop Signs on the cross streets for vehicular traffic.
– Changing the yellow diamond pedestrian signs to red/white yield triangle signs.
– Use of median changes with optical and/or median obstruction/islands on the cross streets. Similar to a small traffic circle. Currently being used in the Old Beach neighborhoods.
– Adding serpentine fencing and landscaping on the bike path to make pedestrians slow down before entering the cross streets.
– Adding speed bumps on each side of the bike path to slow down vehicular traffic on the cross streets.
– Change the speed limits on all Cape Story streets from 25 MPH to 15 MPH.
– Clear vegetation in City right of way (ROW) that impact safe line of sight from pedestrian and vehicle perspective.
– Cul-de-sac some of the long streets at the bike path and only allow one or two main entrances into the neighborhood.
– Reducing the speed limit of Shore Drive from 45 MPH to 35 MPH. This would slow down cars coming off SD that tend to continue the same SD speed through the neighborhood.
– MRC (Virginia Marine Resources Commission) -New Pound Net Applications – TWO Pound net permit applications posted one by Mr. Gregory and one by Mr. Sanford were posted February 24, 2009. The nets are located west of the Lynnhaven Inlet in the Ocean Park/Baylake Pines area. The last day to comment on these applications will be Tuesday March 24, 2009, the same day that the VMRC Board will hear this application. Send your comments to Jack Travelstead, VMRC at Jack.Travelstead@mrc.virginia.gov
VII. New Business
– Elections for 2009 CSBTS -Nominating committee- Nominations are as follows: President – Empsy Munden 1st Vice President – Tracy Stover 2nd Vice President – Diana Albis Secretary – Todd Solomon Treasurer – David Albis Nominations from the Floor Called Elections by members present
– VBCCO – Banquet March 14th – table for CSBTS – nomination for ACTION AWARD for Holiday Events in CSBTS- Annual Banquet VBCCO Saturday March 14th at the Wyndam Hotel
–SDCC – March 30, 2009 7:30PM- Del. Joe Bouchard will be discussing local environmental issues and holding a Q&A session. Council members Louis Jones and Jim Wood attended February 23rd meeting Lesner Bridge Replacement and Indigo Dunes discussed The Lesner Bridge project was not include on the preliminary “stimulus package” money for Va Beach, but tennis courts were. SDCC meetings are held at Ocean Park Fire & Rescue Station. Check http://www.sdcc.info for current information – CSBTS residents may attend as guests
– 2009 Civic Engagement Summit – Saturday April 4, 2009 at 8:30am at the Simulation Center in Suffolk. Sponsored by Hampton Roads Center for Civic Engagement. Free and open to public. http://www.hrcce.org to register.